atania, which is located at the foot of Mount Edna, is a popular destination on cruise trips to Sicily. Its central location means that it is the departure point for most excursions around the island.
Large cruise ships dock at the Stazione Marittima, which is near the fishing port. The city center is a 10-minute walk from the harbor. Taxis are available at the port entrance.
No matter how safe you perceive a destination to be, it's important to use good judgment.
- Pay attention to local media.
- Avoid open displays of wealth, jewelry or other valuables. Safeguard travel documents such as passports and airline tickets.
- Avoid confrontations with locals.
- Avoid demonstrations and protests, especially if they appear political in nature.
- Don't permit people you don't know to enter your accommodations. Keep your door locked. Don't leave valuables in your room unless they can be locked in a safe.
- Avoid illegal drugs, and don't drink alcohol if its use is prohibited. Even if drinking is legal, don't overindulge.
- Be cautious of unsolicited offers of assistance from strangers.
In recent years, political terrorism has become a global phenomenon - an attack could occur with little warning anywhere in the world, even in destinations long regarded as safe. Travelers should keep themselves informed of developments that could affect their safety, no matter what their destination.