Canopy Portland will be among the first hotels to open under the new Hilton brand. // © 2014 Canopy by Hilton
Hilton Worldwide debuts new lifestyle category in response to market research.
Why It Matters:
Through both newbuild and conversion projects, Canopy by Hilton hotels will begin opening next year in key urban neighborhoods such as Portland’s Pearl District, San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter and Oklahoma City’s Bricktown. Incorporating data from intensive market research, each property will aim to be a natural extension of its surroundings, highlighting local culture through art, information and fare. Brand properties will also feature distinct design and offer more complimentary inclusions, including Wi-Fi access and artisanal breakfast.
- The four essential elements that will define Canopy by Hilton properties include key placement in popular city neighborhoods, a focus on comfort and design, more included values and the brand’s “Positively Yours” culture. One way this culture will be cultivated is through hotel “Enthusiasts,” personnel who will offer one-stop, front-of-house service at each property.
- Canopy by Hilton has 11 signed letters of intent to open properties in the following neighborhoods:
Canopy Portland; Portland, Ore.’s Pearl District
Canopy London; location to be announced
Canopy Miami; Brickell neighborhood
Canopy Washington, D.C.; Bethesda North neighborhood
Canopy San Diego; Gaslamp Quarter
Canopy Nashville; Nashville, Tenn.’s downtown area
Canopy Savannah; Savannah, Ga.’s Historic District
Canopy Indianapolis; City Centre neighborhood
Canopy Charlotte; Charl0tte, N.C.’s Uptown neighborhood
Canopy Oklahoma City; Bricktown entertainment district
Canopy Ithaca; Ithaca, N.Y.’s The Commons area
What They Are Saying:
- “Built on extensive market research, our highly anticipated Canopy by Hilton brand delivers a fresh approach to hospitality and the guest experience,” said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and CEO of Hilton Worldwide. “We saw an opportunity to not only enter the lifestyle space by developing a new brand, but also to redefine this category by creating a more accessible lifestyle brand. We identified the need to take the emphasis off of capital-intensive design and deliver exactly what the target consumer desires: an energizing, comfortable stay with more included value.”
- “We’ve launched a brand that is all about the mindset of today’s traveler and creating a positive stay,” said John T.A. Vanderslice, global head, luxury & lifestyle brands for Hilton Worldwide. “Canopy is the energizing new hotel in the neighborhood offering simple, guest-directed service, thoughtful local choices, and comfortable spaces, so guests simply feel better going forward.”
- “The demands and preferences of today’s travelers continue to evolve, and Canopy by Hilton creates something new for consumers in the lifestyle space,” said Jim Holthouser, executive vice president, global brands, Hilton Worldwide. “Canopy by Hilton will deliver more choice and control for guests than ever before, from a mobile straight-to-room arrival to surprising extras throughout each stay.”