Sign Up for Our Daily Newsletter
This summer, the city of Houston will offer visitors a variety of festivals, openings and other events. Offerings from the season’s jam-packed calendar include the following:
• On May 31, the Houston Museum of Natural Science will unveil a new permanent exhibition hall on “Ancient Egypt.” Visitors can explore Egyptian writing, religion, natural resources and mummification at the exhibit.
• When June hits, check out the Free Press Summer Festival, where more than 60,000 attendees will experience more than 150 national and local music acts on eight stages. This year’s show, taking place June 1-2, will feature bands including The Postal Service, Bassnectar, Passion Pit and the Arctic Monkeys, among others.
• Later in June, the Houston International Boat, Sport and Travel Show will take place, featuring more than 1,000 powerboats, luxury yachts, sailboats and personal watercraft, plus more than 300 exhibits for the whole family to enjoy.
• From June 21-23, the Juneteenth Summer Celebration will include blues, gospel and jazz performers plus a variety of smaller events aimed at raising awareness of African American heritage.
• For a Fourth of July celebration to remember, head to Buffalo Bayou for the Southwest Airlines Freedom Over Texas event, which includes entertainment, food booths, a fireworks display and performances by Sheryl Crow and Martina McBride.