Get Us in Your Inbox
WhatAccording to a Virtuoso survey of travel advisors specializing in wellness travel, 53% report that wellness travel sales will be steady from 2019, while 45% say they expect sales to increase. In addition, 98% say the trend will continue to build. The expert advisors named meditation and mindfulness as the top wellness travel activity, and cited spiritual and mental wellness as significant emerging trends.
Why It MattersThe survey reveals that the typical wellness traveler is a Generation X woman who most frequently goes on trips solo or with a small group of friends. Advisors can use this information to better craft relaxing trips that provide an escape, restore balance and transform mind, body and spirit.
Fast Facts- The advisors who participated in the survey are part of Virtuoso’s Wellness Community.
- Asian destinations emerged strongly as favorite wellness settings. According to the survey, the top wellness travel destinations are the U.S., Bali, Thailand, Costa Rica and Italy.
- The top wellness travel destinations on the rise are Bhutan, Croatia, Vietnam, Portugal and South Africa.
- Top wellness travel motivations include stress and anxiety reduction; rest and relaxation; body/mind/spirit transformation; getting away from it all; and spiritual renewal.
- Top wellness travel activities include meditation and mindfulness; spa treatments such as massages; yoga; healthy eating; and outdoor adventures.
- Top emerging wellness travel trends include hotels with wellness amenities; spiritual retreats; mental wellness; travel with a purpose; and developing skill in a wellness activity.