Get Us in Your Inbox
WhatAccording to the Travel Leaders Group 2019-2020 travel trends survey, most of the agency’s advisors (81%) report feeling optimistic about their travel business. The survey finds that travelers plan to spend more or significantly more money on travel in 2020.
Why It MattersThe report confirms other data we’ve seen on the same topic from American Society of Travel Advisors (ASTA). In ASTA’s annual How America Travels study, half of respondents predict that business will be better in 2020. While numerous external factors threaten to affect this hopeful outlook, we’re happy to see that advisors are off to a good start this year.
Fast Facts- The survey ranked the top domestic trips booked in 2019 as follows: Alaska cruises (the most booked domestic trip for the third year in a row); Orlando, Fla.; Las Vegas; New York City; and Honolulu, Hawaii.
- The top international trips booked in 2019 were Caribbean cruises; Cancun, Mexico; Italy; European river cruises; and Mediterranean cruises.
- The top up-and-coming destinations for 2020 are Bora Bora, Thailand, the Galapagos Islands and Croatia.
- More than half (56%) of travel agents foresee booking a luxury river cruise in 2020.
- Women-only trips [https://www.travelagewest.com/Industry-Insight/Business-Features/What-to-Know-About-the-Rising-Popularity-of-Women-Only-Travel] saw the most growth in bookings compared to last year.
- The top niche travel areas are active/adventure travel (45%); honeymoon and destination weddings (36%); culinary and wine (35%); affinity groups (20%); and women’s only (19%).
What They Are Saying“Cruising, whether it’s to Alaska, to the Caribbean or a European cruise in the Mediterranean, is a perennial favorite among North Americans,” said Ninan Chacko, CEO of Travel Leaders Group. “With so many new ships coming on board, we’re seeing strong growth and demand for luxury river cruises that allow you to explore smaller cities along rivers such as the Danube.”
The DetailsTravel Leaders Groupwww.travelleadersgroup.com
World Travel & Tourism Councilwww.wttc.org